Thursday, March 27, 2008

Escape

Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust,
seeking out the darkest place, to better see the light.
I'd like to get away from earth awhile.

There isn't a place
in this world that doesn't
sooner or later
drown,

deep in flower and in flesh, in star and soil and seed,
and bitter wounds on fire.
I'd like to get away from earth awhile.

No one is sleeping in this world. No one, no one.
Deep, blue night
broken across it, and one eye is weeping
as it floats above everything.
Humans wrote the Bible
God wrote the sky.
I'd like to get away from earth awhile.


NOTE- Once again this is another patchwork poem. Each line comes from another poem. The poems used were Birches by Robert Frost, Poppies by Mary Oliver, The Word of God by Catherine Faber, and City That Does Not Sleep
by Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca
Translated by Robert Bly.

Special thanks to Patchwork Poetryfor making this poem possible.

7 comments:

paisley said...

i didn't even notice this was patchwork till i found one of the line i used in it... very nice job... and this weeks selections didn't make it too easy on us either.....

writerwoman said...

Thanks for reviewing. I don't write nature based poetry so I had to give this week's cento my own twist, finding the lines that made it feel like me. Glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed at how you, paisley, and I gravitated to similar lines. I like your repetitions - I did a similar repetition in mine. It's almost like our minds are converging on a similar wavelength. Fascinating.

I enjoyed how you end the poem with getting away after the images of drowning, weeping, and bitter wounds. Really lovely.

Anonymous said...

Your lines amalgate. I liked it so very much.

creatures of eerie night

Anonymous said...

Patchwork it may be, Sara, but you put it together in your own unique, insightful way..:)

jillypoet said...

The firt line is such an invitation to read on. I, too, like the repetition. This is a melancholy poem, could be a sad statement on the environment... Anyway, I like it!

Anonymous said...

I've come back for a second reading, Sara, and these 2 lines flash like a neon light this time around:

"Humans wrote the Bible
God wrote the sky."

These 2 lines have layers of meaning, for me.
I think I love these lines and want to buy them from you.. ;>